Thursday 2 May 2013

God Remains

I always feel a little rush of excitement when I come to the prophet section in reading the bible. Odd, but true. The prophets carry the burden of foresight - seeing what would come to be if the people did not heed to the word of the Lord spoken through them. Among the lesser known prophets is Habakkuk with only 3 chapters that culminate in a prayer, closing with his pledge, "... yet I will rejoice in the Lord. I will joy in the God of my salvation." He was able to devote himself to God even if all else was lost.

I echo the sentiment of the prophet in song. Yet I Will Rejoice... somehow.

You may have noticed the lovely image in my profile picture - a painting by my good friend and exceptional artist, Antonia McGuane. I am happy to have the painting as the focal point in my living space, as well as in my working space here on the song blog.

Antonia was recently working on a series titled "Ephemeral" - an interesting word that I hadn't really given thought to before. As she shared about her work, I began to think about the meaning and experience of this ephemeral life. Its fleeting nature. The moments that come and go and never pass our way again. I had come across a note in my journal from a few months earlier titled, "Only God Remains", together with the words, "new become old and new again, while God remains." It seemed to fit with the concept of ephemeral. Could this interesting word ever find its way into a song? Indeed, it could.

Ephemeral - something worth pondering while "dancing in time with my eternal one."

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment