Thursday 9 May 2013

Mercy and Wonder

Psalm 57:1 - "Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, until the destroying storms pass by."

This was the song of my heart early this week as I tried to rise up from the remains of a weekend headache and record some challenging songs - ones hard for me to play, free of stumbling fingers. Be Merciful would have been a nice plea to God, compared to what did come from my mouth. At times like this I could easily doubt the effort and discipline that has gone into the production of this song blog. A task that really began back in 2010 when I first picked up the guitar for a second go at being a professional songwriter. Has there been any benefit? Will there be a reward?

Psalm 119:82 - "My eyes fail with watching for your promise; I ask, “When will you comfort me?"

It's not always easy to see God's hand in the tasks he calls us to. Even less apparent is the good result we hope to come from our efforts. I think of the mothers who pray year after year for their children, and of those who are faithful in seeking the "promised land", yet continue in poverty.

There is good news. Everything will be all right. Stayed tuned to hear the happy ending to this mournful song. 

I have returned again and again to my imagination for a glimpse of those hoped for outcomes - a vision of prosperity, a joyous celebration, a thought of love. Sometimes God will meet me there with a vision of his own. I love those moments and that place where creation begins. A place to dream and contemplate Wonder.

God imagined... God created... and new life began.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment