Friday 3 May 2013

Walk Uprightly

"I have decided the two choices open to me are (1) to torment myself or (2) to trust the Lord. There is no earthly solution to the problems that confront me. But I can add to my problems, as I believe I have done, by dwelling on them. So, no more of that."

I like the resolution in this quote from the novel, Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson. It really does come down to trusting in God. "It" being the Christian walk, or in simpler terms, life.

Psalm 84:11 - "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; he bestows favor and honor. No good thing does the Lord withhold from those who Walk Uprightly."

How exactly does one walk uprightly? To me, it speaks of integrity - finding the honest and true within yourself, and walking in it. Truthfully though, it's not about me at all. It's about trusting in God and in who he is. Walking in him.

I Am The Lord, he declares, "who brought you up from the land of Egypt". Up from those places or circumstances in our lives that have enslaved us - addictions, habits, sins, mindsets, past hurts. Up from our worship and influence of "strange gods". Things that will never satisfy.

God tells us to open our mouths and he will fill them. Have you ever tried to see how wide you can open your mouth? It's amazing how far the jaw will stretch... and then stretch a little more. I thought my mouth was small until I tried one night to open it further and further for God to fill it. I was desperate.

Psalm 81:7 - "In distress you called, and I rescued you; I answered you in the secret place of thunder".

Now... I wonder where this secret place of thunder is. God knows. I'll trust him.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment