Sunday 5 May 2013

Taizé Worship

The Taizé style of worship is quiet, reflective, and meditative in nature. It takes a simple line of scripture and repeats it over and over. It was first introduced in the Taizé Community, an ecumenical monastic order in Taizé, France. The community was founded by Frère Roger Schutz in 1940. "He pondered what it really meant to live a life according to the scriptures and began a quest for a different expression of the Christian life." - Wikipedia

I didn't set out to write Taizé style songs, but as I was writing the two songs here, I recognized the influence. At St. Thomas' Church in St. John's we would have a regular evening service dedicated to this style of worship, using the songs written by Frère Roger. I also came across a service one Friday evening strolling along a street in Victoria, BC. A nice find. I asked if they did this every Friday evening. They did not. I love God's timing.

Psalm 97:11-12 - "Light dawns for the righteous, and joy for the upright in heart. Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous, and give thanks to his holy name!" Light Is Dawning

Psalm 139:18 - "I come to the end - I am still with you." I Come To The End

These lines of scripture are capable of standing alone in songs of worship. I didn't have any inclination to add or subtract from them. Sung over and over, they surely bring one into the presence of God, and into the peace that one finds there.

This is where I want to go in worship.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment