Thursday 18 April 2013

Be Bold

It was one of my final days in the little cottage on Neary's Pond, NL, just puttering about in the kitchen. I heard myself singing a chorus, I Will Call Upon Your Holy Name. I had to stop and wonder what I was singing. I was surprised to discover it was something new. Words and melody. A rare occurrence. For a time it remained a chorus and I liked it that way. However, in searching the scripture to see where the words may have originated, I found in Psalm 116 what would become the body of the song. The little chorus then became an intro and finale. I think it could easily stand alone as a meditative chorus for those who want to try it.

"I will call upon your holy name. I will call upon your holy name.
In your presence now, I will pay my vow, and offer sacrifice of praise."

The day eventually came when I made my final departure from Newfoundland, after 10 years of going back and forth between various homes there and my family home in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. I headed for a little village along the LaHave River, NS and to a potential new job with the local winery - Petite Riviere Vineyards. I was graciously offered a place to start from, in the cottage of one of the owners, sharing the space with the vineyard foreman. After a couple of weeks it became apparent that finding more permanent accommodation was going to be next to impossible, and it was still not clear what my job would be with the winery. I began to lose confidence in the move. That's when this little but mighty song came along to keep me going forward. Be Bold... and be strong.

Deuteronomy 31:8 - "It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

I did not end up settling in Petite. I found myself back in the family home and back into a time of songwriting.

Back into a time of transition.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment