Saturday 13 April 2013

Houses of God

Elizabeth: house of God; consecrated to God.

It was my minister, Peter Young, at St. Thomas' Church in St. John's, NL, who first told me the meaning of my name. And he proceeded to remind me of it as often as needed. There was an assurance in it.

Psalm 127:1 - "Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain."

I was journaling one day about how God might go about building a house - this house. Me. I believe we were in the "excavation" stage at that point - digging and clearing the land, removing the large stones - preparing for a solid foundation. The building would come later. It would be a process building this house!

The good news is, there is now a sound coming from this House Of God. I send this sound out to Peter, with thanks for his part in the building process - the counsel, the inpouring of wisdom, and all those assurances.

"Oh, to see the sun rise on this house. What a day that will be." - journal, July 24/10

In the psalms there's a call that goes out to the houses of God. Psalm 135:19-20 - "O house of Israel, bless the Lord! O house of Aaron, bless the Lord! O house of Levi, bless the Lord! You that fear the Lord, bless the Lord!"

For some time, the melody for Bless The Lord went without words and I thought perhaps it would remain the "doo, doo" song. I'm glad I finally heeded the call of Psalm 135 and discovered words that were just right. Only a few doo, doos remain. 

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment