Monday 22 April 2013

Precious Child

The issue of personal identity is a universal one. Who are we? Where do we come from? What is our purpose? Questions the world cannot answer... our work cannot answer... our circumstances cannot answer. The answer is bigger than all these things. Our identity is beyond who and what we are in the world. Our identity is in God. That's where we find ourselves.

Psalm 139:14 - "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well."

It occurred to me one day that I was first imagined in the mind of God. He liked the idea of me, and so I was made. His Precious Child. A product of his delight. That's a nice thought. A nice reality. And there really is no expectation that comes with that. If I am myself, then the gifts that are in me will naturally evolve, and I will just be... me. Simple, huh?

The world has other ideas for me. I should be this, or I should do that. Even as a Christian it's easy to fall under the 'should' curse, which at best leads to pretense and the carrying of burdens that are not mine to bear. It has taken much time and contemplation to reach this understanding, and I imagine that the fullness of it's truth is far beyond my reach.

Psalm 139:6 - Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is so high that I cannot attain it.

I'm satisfied to know a little and to be out from under the pressure, out from under the weight of expectations. In God's eye, I am perfect. I am this particular version of the Elizabeth Anne design. I Am God's Own.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment