Monday 29 April 2013

On This Mountain

Who doesn't like the idea of a 'mountain top' experience? That moment of being on top of the world. I certainly do. I think I've spent a great deal of time circling the mountain without ever reaching the pinnacle. But, I remain hopeful!

I recently attended the funeral of my uncle Eli Skinner, a great name... and a great uncle. One of dad's eight siblings - a family size I thought large until I started meeting other Newfoundlanders. During the service, there was a reading from Isaiah 25, verses 6 to 10. I had never before considered this scripture in relation to the time of death. I suppose I've always hoped that one could be On This Mountain in this lifetime. And that the feast of rich foods and well-aged wines, and the wiping away of tears and disgrace could be experienced sometime in the present. That's what I've been waiting for.

Isaiah 25:7-8 - "And he will destroy on this mountain the shroud that is cast over all peoples, the sheet that is spread over all nations; he will swallow up death forever."

I can understand why these verses would be read on the day we say good-bye to our loved ones. Certainly for them, the wait has ended.

Mount Zion. His Holy Mountain. Can one begin to imagine the beauty and joy to be found there?

Psalm 48:12-13 - "Walk about Zion, go all around it..."

It's time to set my eyes upon the pinnacle. I echo the words of Prince Caspian of Narnia, in his realization, "I spent too much time wanting what was taken from me, rather than wanting what was given to me."

Mountain climbing ahead!

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment