Saturday 20 April 2013

My Soul Thirsts

Soon after moving back to Nova Scotia, I visited my friends at Lighthouse Community Church. Whenever I was in the province, I would often go there on Sundays and through the week to the prayer group and bible study. That week they were planning a "soaking in the presence of God" evening, with worship music on CD. The thought crossed my mind to offer to sing and play some of my songs. I left that thought right where it was... until I was certain it was a divine prompting. So... I offered... and Pastor Jocelyn accepted.

And there I was, Wednesday evening with guitar in hand, wondering how was I ever going to do this. This was my third time playing in front of more than an audience of one or my cat. And it would involve playing more than one or two songs. I trembled my way through the first few songs and then gradually became more calm. Fortunately, they're a generous and forgiving bunch at LCC. I was glad in the end to have followed the prompting.

The response amazed me and I was richly rewarded with positive feedback. Debra, one of worship team at the church, had several encouraging words and in particular, one prophetic word. She believed I would soon be writing a song with more than one voice. Who Rises Up For Me is that song. There are three "voices" that can be heard - two that are me: doubt and hope; and one that is God: assurance. Can you tell who's who in the lyrics?

There is only one voice in My Soul Thirst, and it's all me. If there were one song that could sum up my daily walk (and talk) with God, this would be it. My prayer is that the rich feasting and joyful praise would increase, and the dry and weary land would decrease.

I always imagine myself as a little song bird on her perch singing this song. If it's a cage I'm in, I'm sure the door would be open. At least I'm protected from the cat!

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment