Thursday 25 April 2013

Jean Margaret

Jean Margaret was my grandmother. It was her great-great-grandfather, a Selig of German descent, who built our family home. Seven generations later, my niece is now growing up there. My three sisters and I grew up with our grandmother as a second mother. She was a blessing to the whole family. Late at night I could sometimes hear her in her room reading from the bible or quietly praying. Her bible was always next to her pillow. I credit Nanny's prayers with keeping me under God's umbrella and drawing me back to him when I began to stray. She was a fine example of someone with faith.

In her later years, my grandmother was confined to a wheelchair, having lost her legs to disease. I am most proud of the years I was able to wheel Nanny to church on Sundays. Throughout her life she was a Sunday school teacher and active in the church. It was her second home. I was honoured to have a seat in the pew next to her. She had an appreciation for my every little gesture of assistance. I wish I had done more. She passed away in 1995.

Jean Margaret married Michael Joseph O'Connor, who had come from Newfoundland to fish out of Lunenburg. They had 4 children. The second, a daughter, was Josephine Mary, born April 25, 1940. My mom. Today is her birthday. Besides birthing me into a childhood full of musical influence, I credit my mother with passing along an innate creativity, an openness to new things, and the ability to persevere. I also give her credit for holding onto things of value. She had the foresight to copy all my earlier songs on the day she came across them. Because of that, I now have the song Jean Margaret, written in 1997, to present to her as a birthday gift. I had forgotten even writing it.

I also present, A Sweet Tune - the happy birthday version. Happy Birthday, Mom!

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment