Friday 5 April 2013

In The Garden

After giving up a regular income in 2003, I relied heavily on the generosity of friends and family for various forms of accommodation, including housesitting. In the summer of 2010 I stayed at my friend Linda's place for 10 days and I had one of those God "thoughts" that I was to write something everyday, to commit even 5 minutes to it. The first day I sat myself on the swinging chair in Linda's garden and began with some thoughts about being in the spiritual "garden". I was surprised months later to find myself going back to that little poem and to other writings from those 10 days in search for lyrics for new melodies I had begun to write. Here In The Garden was that first little poem.

You Are Friend came from the words written on day 2, with thoughts of Adam walking in the garden with God. Just walking and talking like two best friends. That's how easy the relationship was... and is for us!

In looking back in my journal to this time period, I've discovered something written the day before going to Linda's, July 11, 2010 - Victory Christian Centre (an image): "I'm dancing with the Lord and he is spinning me around and around and around, all around him. Then we go through a door - "Peace/Prosperity" - and the wall comes down revealing an expansive garden, as far as the eye can see. "The world is a garden." I am a child playing in it." - Nice discovery.

I like the way God is at work long before we ever get a hint of it. I was writing lyrics long before I knew they would be lyrics. A little poem from Oct/09 became this little song, He Is, I Am in Nov/10.

E.

A note of thanks to those who have shared their homes with me these past 10 years - Maura, Denis, Helen, Faye, Margaret, Linda, Colleen, Allison, Elaine and Peter, Glenn, Tina, Anne, Auriel, Oona, Joyce, and the two Lisa's. And of course thanks to mom and dad, Josephine and Albert, and my sister Angela and her family at the homestead in Lunenburg, NS.

No comments:

Post a Comment