Thursday 4 April 2013

Song Of Songs

When someone prays with you, they will sometimes share a scripture that comes to their mind. Something just right for the moment.

During my first Alpha retreat, in the fall of 2002, a scripture - actually a book - was shared with me. It was the Song of Solomon, or Song of Songs, an epic love poem near the centre of the bible. I had experienced a spiritual healing of the heart that weekend, so this scripture was "just right" for me. I return to it often, whenever my heart needs a fix. So it's not surprising that its words started turning up in my songs, beginning with Behold He Comes.

It seems right to include one other song here - Song Of Songs - written this past winter. I found the words in a journal entry from back in 2010. I only wish I had the voice to proclaim the song from the roof tops. The words have that kind of effect on me. I hope you will get a taste of God's love while listening.

Song of Songs 2 -
8 The voice of my beloved! Look, he comes, leaping upon the mountains, bounding over the hills.
9 My beloved is like a gazelle or a young stag. Look, there he stands behind our wall, gazing in at the windows, looking through the lattice.
10 My beloved speaks and says to me: “Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away;
11 for now the winter is past, the rain is over and gone.
12 The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land.
 

There's a song by Matt Maher that's worth mentioning here - Set Me As A Seal, also from King Solomon's love poem. He's an exceptional singer/songwriter, originally from Newfoundland.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment