Monday 8 April 2013

Joy, Joy, Joy

Psalm 150 is an obvious praise song. The child in me loves the idea of banging away on a big cymbal. No doubt, making a bit of noise is good for the soul and pleasing to God. Here's my Loud Clashing Cymbals!

Now, in a departure from spring...
Joyous Christmas started out simply as a chorus, and I imagined it being sung in a round (Still hope to try this!). The verses eventually started to come, late one night while bunking with my then 5 year old niece, Emerald. I think some of her enthusiasm for Christmas had rubbed off on me. I tip toed from her bed to find my notebook. The song became one of celebration, and being grateful for all that God has given, that we in turn can give to others. My Christmas wish is to become a better gift giver and a bit more like Emerald in her enthusiasm for all things.

With that thought, I give you Be Jubilant With Joy. It was the first song I remember coming to me in the wee hours of morning, in that not-quite-awake time. The words started... "one voice is raised in singing... two... three...". I remembered them once I was fully awake and jotted them down. Too simple for a lyric, I thought, but they did eventually become a song, with the help of a fourth voice, King David.

Psalm 68:3-4 -
"But let the righteous be joyful; let them exult before God; let them be jubilant with joy. Sing to God, sing praises to his name; lift up a song to him who rides upon the clouds - his name is the Lord - be exultant before him."

There is a choral arrangement in the works that will have those three voices raised... eventually. For now my one small voice will have to do.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment