Sunday 21 April 2013

Returning To Eden

Blessed Are Those who bless you Israel... - Numbers 24:9

If there's a blessing to be had, I want it. I will join with the prophet Balaam in blessing Israel... and reap the benefit of a blessing for myself. Myself aside, it needs to be said that Israel is God's chosen people. Chosen for a purpose - to be a "light". I want that light shining, don't you? So let's bless them!

I didn't have any those worthy thoughts in mind when writing the words of Balaam's oracle in my journal. I simply liked the poetry and imagery of the palm groves stretching far and wide, the gardens beside the river, the aloes planted by the Lord and the cedars by the waters.

Number 24:5 - "How fair are your tents, O Jacob".

I asked the question in bible study one evening at St. Thomas' Church, NL, "Is The Promise something that we have to wait for until the day we die, or is it something we can receive before then?" I guess what I was really asking was, can I hope to experience the life of Eden in this time on earth? - To look around me and see lives fully restored, fully healed, and at one with God. Freedom from disease and corruption. Evil banished. In whole communities. In my community. In me. The song Returning To Eden came from a time of pondering this ongoing inquiry.

I don't remember if the question was answered that evening. I suppose one can always hope to have at least a taste of Eden... "while it is still called today". - Hebrews 3:13

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment