Tuesday 9 April 2013

This Is My Promise

Isaiah 54:10 - "For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed, says the Lord, who has compassion on you."

A promise. Sometimes that's all one has to go on when all else has fallen away. I suppose that's the walk of faith, believing in what you have yet to see. Trusting in God, for "thus says the Lord", This Is My Promise.

All else has "fallen away" from me on more than one occasion, or so it seems - coming to the end of myself and in particular, coming to the end of my financial tight rope. An attempted move to Victoria, BC was one of those occasions. As my five week hunt for employment and my credit came to an end, my friend Allison in Newfoundland opened her door to me. "You're always welcome", she emailed. She wasn't prepared for me to email back saying I would be there in a week! But she did make a room for me in the former boathouse extension of her home.

I tell you this story, partly to share how God came through, and partly to share what I had yet to see... It was in the quiet and privacy of that room that my songwriting began several months later. Where a dream began to come back to life.

By January, the room was too drafty to heat and I moved around the corner to her little cottage on Neary's Pond. A picturesque place. While shovelling one day (one of many!), I found myself singing a little song about one of her cats, Mouse. She was the smallest and feistiest among the clan and had joined me at the cottage. I include the song here just for fun and to say, "Thank you Allison".

I have much to be grateful for from my time Down On Western Gullly Road.

E.


No comments:

Post a Comment