Friday 12 April 2013

To The One

"My God and my King, who am I to know this place of glory before your throne." - journal, July 14/10

The lyrics for To The One come from a scene in the book of Revelation where the four and twenty elders fall down before the throne of God and worship him. It is part of the apostle John's first visions of heaven.

Revelation 4:11 - “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honour and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”

If it's not God we worship, then who... or what...? What Would You Trade God For? The issue of idols can be a sensitive one, especially if there are things in our lives that we aren't aware we put before God. The lyrics came almost word for word from a journal entry I had made while thinking about the potential idols in my own life - those thing that I could easily focus on, leading me astray from God. For instance, don't we all like to be told, "Your right", particularly when it comes to our beliefs! What if our mind sets, the things we believe we're right about, are wrong.

Proverbs 14:12 - "There is a way that seems right to a person, but its end is the way to death."

It didn't occur to me until recently, that this song might cause offence. So I send my apologies out with it. I always thought of it as light hearted, bluesy and fun. Can the subject of idolatry be any of these things?

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment