Friday 26 April 2013

Round And Round

Ecclesiastes 1:3 - "What do people gain from all their labors at which they toil under the sun?"

As King Solomon said, "All is vanity." One could easily become discouraged in the circular nature of life. Repeating patterns. Repeating results. Attempts to change but remaining the same. What will make the difference? What will bring a breakthrough? These are two questions I've asked many times and for many years, as I've sought "my calling", moving from place to place and home to home. Round and Round, chasing the wind. In all the vanity Solomon speaks of, I can find one glimmer of hope...

Ecclesiastes 2:24 - "There is nothing better for mortals than to eat and drink, and find enjoyment in their toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God."

It is the recognition of God's hand in our labour that makes the toil worthwhile. And, to enjoy the fruits of our labour is the reward!

One afternoon at the Chester Career Resource Centre, where I find computer access and from where I publish this blog, I met Klaus Gehrig, a local musician and instructor in Celestial Navigation. He noticed I was working on music and asked to see the lyric sheet for Round And Round laying beside me. Being the philosophical type, he appreciated the lyrics and so I offered to send him a recording. As often happens, I struggled to record the song without messing up. After many failed attempts I had a "meltdown" and found myself saying to God, "I gotta know that you're in this with me..." and before I knew it I was singing the words. When I settled down, I sat and wrote I Gotta Know - a product of my recording agony.

The amazing outcome was that Klaus eventually heard both songs and made home recordings of his own. I love these versions. Here's Klaus Gehrig with Round And Round and I Gotta Know.

Thanks Klaus for your unique navigation through these songs!

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment